Spring is here, and classes are over! Most of you have an externship or clerkship during which you will learn some aspects of the practice of law. Many of you will be in your target geographic location, but even if you are not, using your summer experiences to learn the trade and expand your network is the best way to maximize your summer. Here are some tips:
- Connect with partners, associates, or fellow clerks/externs by going to lunch and attending employer functions;
- Compile a contact list and reach out to target employers: mention you are in town for an externship/clerkship and would love to take them to lunch;
- Reach out to alumni or JRCLS members in your area;
- Go to all employer functions, even if it is a “happy hour” or golf tournament (and you don’t play golf);
- Don’t hide at your desk—be proactive and ask for projects;
- Attend networking events.
Written by Michelle Armitstead