Graduation Spotlight: Luisa Gough

Before starting law school, Luisa Gough, ’19, was nervous that she would stick out because she was older, a mother, and had no prior work experience. “I felt like as a mom going to law school, I needed a community of support to help me survive this,” Gough said. She quickly found her community amongst her classmates.

“There really is a place for everyone…It doesn’t matter where you’re from, how old you are, or what kind of work experience you have, if we share a similar passion, we can work together and really create some good,” Gough said.

Law school taught Gough a lot about herself.

“Coming in as a nontraditional student who has a lot of life experience, I have been amazed at the amount of growth that occurs in law school—intellectually, but also in my capacity to learn, grow, and develop new skills,” Gough said. “It’s confidence inducing to realize that no matter where we’re at, we can learn and try new things.”

In addition to intellectual growth, Gough has appreciated the opportunities in law school that have prepared her to contribute to her community. During the 14 years she was home with her children, Gough volunteered in her community by telling stories at the library, preparing taxes for the low-income tax clinic VITA, and delivering Meals on Wheels. Now, she looks to add value to her community through her legal skills.

Gough is grateful to have attended law school later in her life because it has helped her stay grounded despite the rigor of the degree.

“I haven’t let [the competitive nature of law school] change who I am. I’m still going to reach out, lift, and serve. Because at the end of the day, that’s what matters,” Gough said. “And some of those things that feel important, won’t matter in even one year.”

The BYU Law community has provided Gough the support she was looking for when she started law school.

“Being a part of the law school community has given me a lot of confidence,” Gough said. “If you strive to do good things, have good values, and have a great work ethic, it will pay off in the long run.”

Comments (0)