Graduation Spotlight: Elise Faust

Law Review, Supreme Court Clinic, Moot Court, Judicial Externships

Teaching and learning are integral parts of Elise Faust’s life. In the fourth grade, she set her course to teach history. By the age of 21, she earned a master’s degree in education from Columbia University and went on to teach high school for seven years in Washington, D.C., California, and New York.
Elise 1

Faust enjoyed the years she spent teaching because of her passion for education. “I think one of the exciting things about teaching is that you learn new things every day– whether you’re preparing new material to share with the students or you are studying a topic more in-depth,” she said.

Although she loved teaching, Faust decided to leave her position to come to law school because she saw it as another way to expand her mind. She was also following a family tradition—her father, brother, and uncle are BYU Law alumni.

unnamed

Faust knew law school would be demanding and looked forward to the challenge. She engaged with fellow students and professors by participating in Law Review, Moot Court, the Supreme Court Clinic, and an externship with a Federal District Court in Salt Lake City.

She noted that law school gave her a variety of skills that will have a positive impact on her career. “I think overall law school has helped me to think more clearly and has increased my capacity to do good in the world,” she said. “I think you decide how happy you want to be in whatever career you choose, and so I made a decision that I was going to love law.”

After graduation, Faust plans to take the New York Bar and work at Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher, and Flom in New York City for one year. In 2019, she will begin a year-long clerkship with Judge Kent Jordan on the U.S. Third Circuit Court of Appeals.

IMG_9972-1-2

Comments (0)