Graduation Spotlight: Brianna Rosier

Even before coming to BYU Law, Brianna Rosier, ’19, recognized the vital importance of advocacy.

This realization came, in part, while working with autistic students in a classroom setting. Although she appreciated her ability to help the students, Rosier observed that there were limits to the influence she could have in that sphere. A legal education would allow her to overcome those limitations.

Since that time, Rosier has been actively engaged in advocacy, both in and out of the classroom. For two years, she served on the board of the Black Law Students Association (BLSA), helping students and faculty engage in difficult, but important, racial conversations.

This effort to bring racial issues to the forefront of classroom discussion has taken many forms, including panel discussions about racial issues within The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and events that highlight BYU Law’s diversity. “Working with the BLSA has allowed me to build connections while also bringing attention to something that is very important to me,” Rosier said.

Rosier has found the BYU Law community to be both receptive and supportive of her efforts: “I have really appreciated the respect my classmates have shown me, as well as the ability I have felt to be honest and open in this community.”

Furthering her advocacy experience, Rosier also spent a summer working with the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP). This experience helped her become more intimately aware of many of the issues vulnerable populations are facing. During Rosier’s time with the NAACP, she encountered situations of housing and employment discrimination, as well as a number of other problems faced by minority populations.

“We have laws in place to protect these vulnerable populations but they need attorneys to advocate for them,” Rosier remarked. .”

“Law school has given me the skills and experience I need to help; it allows me to be the best possible advocate.”

Comments (0)